The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a federal law, requires that Dallas International, with certain exceptions, obtain your written consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from your education records.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act governs the release and access of information from student education records. If you have any questions regarding your privacy rights, contact the Dallas International Registrar at 972-708-7536 or email Registrar@diu.edu.
What are students’ rights under this Act?
- the right to inspect and review their education records
- the right to amend inaccurate or misleading information in their education records and the right to a hearing if the request for amendment is unsatisfactory
- the right of consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information
- the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failure to comply with FERPA requirements (Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202-4605)
Unless a request to restrict release of directory information to a third party is submitted by the student, the following may be released without prior consent:
- Student’s name
- Local address
- Telephone number
- E-mail address
- Major field of study
- Classification (B.A., M.A., or Certificate)
- Enrollment status (graduate, undergraduate, part-time, full-time)
- Dates of attendance
- Expected graduation date
- Thesis title
- Degrees, honors, and awards received
A student wanting to restrict release of directory information to a third party must submit a Student Request to Withhold Directory Information form to the Dallas International Registrar. There are two levels of restriction. (1) Photo Only, or (2) All Directory Information. For these students, written permission must be received prior to release of any information from their student records to a third party. The Dallas International records of these students are marked as “NO PHOTO RELEASE” or “RESTRICTED“. Parents or guardians of students who have documented proof that the student is a legal dependent may obtain non-directory information at the discretion of the institution. Signed consent from the student is required.
Privacy: Information such as social security number, student number, family member names, personal characteristics, or other data which would make the student’s identity easily traceable may NOT be disclosed without either the student’s prior consent, or pursuant to a recognized exception allowed by FERPA. In cases of health and safety emergencies that represent imminent danger to the student, other students, or other members of the school community, information may be released to authorized officials (whether within or outside of Dallas International).