By DIU policy and procedure, all applicants, US citizen or not, who are non-native speakers of English must establish adequate English proficiency to pursue academic studies at DIU before they may be considered for admission to DIU.
Those applying for graduate or undergraduate admission status at DIU are always asked to provide TOEFL or IELTS score results.
TOEFL or IELTS score criteria
- Official TOEFL, IELTS score sheet is required—must come directly to DIU from ETS or IELTS.
- Test date should be no more than 2 years old at time of enrollment.
- TOEFL overall score should be at least 90 (120 perfect score), with no part score lower than 20.
- IELTS overall score should be 6.5 (9.0 perfect score), with no part score lower than 6.0. It is preferable that the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) be at least a C1, the first CEFR score that is considered by the Council of Europe to be sufficient for academic study.
Request to waive the TOEFL/IELTS score requirement.
International students seeking graduate or undergraduate admission status are always asked to provide recent TOEFL or IELTS scores to establish English proficiency. There are instances, however, when alternate methods of establishing adequate English proficiency for academic study at DIU are appropriate.
Reasons to request TOEFL/IELTS waiver from DIU:
- If student has applied for Gateway admission status to take Intensive (-IN) or Online (-OL) classes only
- If student is long-time legal permanent resident (LPR) or citizen of US
- If student is coming to DIU after successfully completing at least 2 years of coursework on-campus at another US institution.
- If student is international but has successfully completed a US degree and was either studying or working in US at least 2 of the past 5 years.
If your situation is one of the “Reasons” above, you may petition to waive the TOEFL score requirement for admission: TOEFL Waiver Petition Form
- Submit TOEFL Waiver Petition to email@example.com (International Student Office at DIU)
- On the form, please check all boxes that describe your situation and provide an explanation of how you use English in everyday situations at work, at home, and in social or other settings.
- If you’ve taken a TOEFL or IELTS exam more than two years ago, consider submitting a copy of those results along with your petition.
- If requested by DIU, send this informal English Evaluation Form to 3 native speakers of English who know you well enough to fill out the form and ask that they return the form directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dangers, warnings of the petition process:
- Petitions, once submitted, may be approved or denied by DIU. If denied, you will most likely need to make plans to sit for a TOEFL or IELTS exam.
- An approved waiver of the TOEFL score requirement for Gateway admission purposes does not guarantee that a TOEFL waiver will be “automatically“ approved for any further applications for admission you submit to DIU.